How to understand this blog

Friday, September 30, 2011

this is one of my favourite things


When I was a very little girl, at some point before I can remember, I had my first boiled egg. My father would have drawn a funny face on it, like he did for all my siblings and me. If only we had a photographic record of all the faces, over the years, about to face doom through a sharp whack to the head.

I would have doused it in salt - because I'm sorry, but there is no point in eating a boiled egg without salt - and I would have eaten it with great pleasure. I love eggs, and I love boiled eggs especially. I think I particularly like that they are so personal - everyone has their own preferences when it comes to eggs. For myself, I boil an egg for five minutes precisely in quickly boiling water. Any longer, and it's too solid for me.

Anyway, I would finish the egg, already longing for more. At this point someone would have played a trick on me by turning the larger half of the egg shell over in the egg cup, to look as if it hadn't been eaten yet, and offered it to me.

Bloggers, I fell for it, even if I can't remember doing so, and from that point on, I have been constitutionally incapable of eating a boiled egg without offering SOMEONE the empty shell. I know that very rarely will anyone fall for it. I have successfully tricked someone once in my entire life, which I estimate would be a success rate of roughly 1/375. Nevertheless it is hilariously funny.

These are a few of my favourite things.

4 comments:

Sarakastic said...

I totally wouldve fallen for it, not a well known trick over here cant wait to try it.

Stacy said...

Is that a soft-boiled egg? I've never tried one of those.

Allie said...

Yes, it's soft-boiled. Is that not very ordinary in the States? You should definitely try it! If you're nervous about slight runniness, cook for 6 mins or 7 mins tops, I think.

Stacy said...

It's not unheard of, but I don't think it's terribly common either. I'd probably like it, though. I'm a bit opinionated about eggs. I like yolks runny, but I hate grease. So basically fried eggs and hard-boiled are out. I love poached eggs, but find them a bit tricky to cook. So soft-boiled might be a good choice.