How to understand this blog

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

job-hunting is so much fun

So, I think it's time for a little update on my employment prospects.

I have now been rejected for 81 jobs! Huzzah!

I think I'm doing pretty well so far at keeping my head held high amidst a constant stream of rejections... I regret to inform you ... we found other applicants matched the requirements of experience more closely than you did... et cetera, et cetera. (That's if they reply at all.)

I could become rather cynical and question how these applicants ever got experience - but I try to avoid thinking too much about it and just write Better and More Persuasive covering letters.

Fortunately, I have two part-time jobs which have covered my bills so far but I will need to find something else in the immediate future as one of them is winding down.

I've had two interviews for a "proper job" so far - I didn't get either but one of them gave me some excellent feedback, and it was good practice. I also got to the point of taking a personality test for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. After which they too rejected me. I think being rejected on the basis of your personality is slightly worse than being rejected because you "only" have a strong postgraduate degree.

Oh, isn't it all so fun?! I have had a few weeks of sheer apathy, refusing to even look at job applications, as it all seems hopeless and then I give myself a virtual slap, and start applying again. The funny thing is that when I look at some of the job descriptions, I KNOW I would be fantastic at them. The only thing I need to do is convince the employer of that.

So I beat on, boat against the current, borne ceaselessly into ... who knows where?!

3 comments:

Sarah @ In Pleasant Places said...

Looking for a job SUCKS. I know, I've been looking for one most of this year. But keep on, keep on, sista! Lol. God'll bring the right one a long.

Sarakastic said...

I think even worse than being rejected for a personality test would be having your own reality show canceled. It's like the entire world saying "We don't want to see you anymore. We hate your life". Hang in there, you can do this.

Stacy said...

Keep going, Allie! You have more on CV than when you began job hunting, thanks to those part time jobs. It does take longer for those of us with humanities degrees to find jobs, but you'll get there.