I normally put on a very sceptical face when it comes to New Year. This year, however, I decided to make some resolutions. For the first time in a long time, I do not know how I will be spending the year. I will finish my thesis sometime before the end of March, and suddenly there will be a big blank emptiness I will have to fill. So I've decided that I might need some actual goals, so that I can actually move forward.
1. I want to do the Routeburn Track (3 days long, one of NZ's Great Walks) before the end of next summer. I did the first couple hours of this at the start of 2009 (pictured below) and it's just beautiful. It will take a bit of preparation - gear, companions, travel, fees, fitness - but this is why I need to start thinking about it now!
2. In terms of general being-a-better-person stuff: I want to complain less. Especially in the flatting environment. It's very easy to start complaining about someone or something, and not so easy to stop.
3. Get a job that is not completely unrelated to the skills I have acquired over the last six years (sigh) of study.
4. Figure out some things. Do I want to do a PhD or not? Do I want to be anything in particular?
5. Get writing again. Creative writing.
6. Move forward in some way. I do not want 2011 to be a year of being stagnant.