How to understand this blog

Thursday, January 27, 2011

flags


I've finally bought the new Brooke Fraser album, Flags. I've actually listened to it several times already because not one, not two, but three of my flatmates bought it as soon as it came out! (We like her. Quite a lot.)

It's a lovely album. I have her two other albums, and I don't know what one I would say is the best, but this is definitely a progression from the others - she is obviously not simply repeating more of the same, although she's still got all the wonderfulness of her other stuff - the lyrics, the voice, the musical sensitivity and originality. I heard that with this song she wanted to make sure there were more upbeat songs on it than the last album, Albertine, as it got a bit wearing always performing the more serious, dark ones. And I can definitely see that in this album. The thoughtful ones still remain, though - for which I am glad.

My favourites:
"Something in the Water", the first single, is just a charming, bubbly, happy song you can't help singing along to. It's lovely.
"Who Are We Fooling?", a duet about marriage. Somehow, it manages to be both beautiful and realistic. An amazing song.
"Crows and Locusts" is a story-song, which always appeals to me. I love the creativeness of this one, musically - its slight creepiness, the way it moves around a lot, rather like Regina Spektor in a song like "Human of the Year".

I also like "Betty", "Jack Kerouac" and "Ice on Her Lashes". And basically everything else on the album.

So yeah - I highly recommend this!

I am very excited to be going to the Christchurch leg of the More FM Winery Tour, at the Mudhouse vineyard, on February 26. An outdoor concert featuring Brooke, Opshop and Midnight Youth... as well as picnics, wine, the sun and then the stars - what could be more wonderful?

In other news: I discuss books that are meaningful to me on my other blog. What books would you choose?

1 comment:

Alyssa Goodnight said...

I will definitely have to check this out--sounds lovely!

Right now I'm listening to one of the Glee soundtracks--a lot.

Thanks for the recommendation!