How to understand this blog

Monday, September 20, 2010

spring


It's spring! My favourite time of year (narrowly beating autumn). Two weeks ago I took my nieces to the Botanic Gardens, which are currently radiant. We danced around the band rotunda singing songs from Mary Poppins, made daisy chains, and skipped around the masses of daffodils. I go a little silly in springtime.

It reminds me of getting back from the UK last year. I wasn't all that eager to return, but once I was here again - at the beginning of October at the last gasp of spring - I fell in love with my hometown once again. I remember walking down the road to my sister's house smelling all the flowers and the cleanness, and, as ridiculously idyllic as this sounds, listening to birds chirruping in the trees, feasting themselves silly. There was a slightly overwhelming brightness to everything. Europe can be quite dim, even in sunlight, but the sunlight here is so raw and cheerful. (It's probably because we have a depleted ozone layer, and therefore have to be very careful to sunblock-up. Still, it's very pleasant.)

I love the turning of the seasons. Constant change, rediscovering the familiar.

2 comments:

Stacy said...

Spring is lovely because of the sunlight. In Michigan, winters tend to be pretty cloudy so once it's spring, it's like, "What's the big yellow thing in the sky, hurting my eyes?"

This fall, I was initially excited to have the weather turn brisk and then the sun started hiding behind the clouds, and I remembered. Oh, how the Cullens would love it here!

So yes, a little jealous of your spring.

Alyssa Goodnight said...

I love both spring and autumn. The light is beautiful, the breeze is light and refreshing, and the changes are amazing to watch.

You've made me want to watch Mary Poppins all over again. :)