How to understand this blog

Thursday, September 2, 2010

beginnings and ends

This is a photo of a beginning of something:


It graces this quarter's issue of Halfway Down the Stairs - 'Beginnings and Ends' - which is a website that you should definitely visit, browse, read, etc. September's HDtS is full of fabulous poetry, fiction and nonfiction - I can say that with confidence because I've read it all!

Of the fiction, I love 'Ashes' by Jennifer Marie Brissett, which is as fine and restrained a portrait of an ending as I can imagine, and 'Knitter's Corner' by Suzanne Marie Hopcroft. I also think 'Roman, Explorer' by Peter Hajinian is hilariously funny.
Catherine Underhill Fitzpatrick's nonfiction piece 'Sounds and Fury' is pretty amazing.
And of the poetry, I really enjoyed 'For Keeps' by Sarah Bartlett, 'Fall' by Janeen Rastall, and 'Pebble Round' by Kimberley Keith.

We also welcome two new poetry editors, Ashley Vemuri and Joseph Murphy, which is very very exciting. It's been a while since we had new blood.

Submissions are now open for our December issue, themed 'Silence'.

Edit: Oh, and I almost forgot! Follow us on facebook! If only to minister to our vanity at the number of 'likers' we have.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

I am a HUGE FAN of that publication. ;)

Word verification: gonishi?