How to understand this blog

Friday, July 2, 2010

ice

I went to Swan Lake on Ice (performed by the Imperial Ice Stars) yesterday, in the afternoon, at the Theatre Royal, with my sister and Niece-Aged-3. As I have mentioned before here, Niece-Aged-3 is obsessed with princesses, and she was completely over-excited to begin with, and spent the show gazing at the stage, eyes wide and mouth open, whispering comments to her mum.

As for me, I was not much less in awe. I have never seen anything like it. I've been to a couple of ballets before, but they were just not on a par with this, and they tried to be more contemporary, whereas this was completely stereotypical ballet but completely mind-blowing. It helps, of course, that this was a ballet (on ice) featuring Tchaikovsky's amazing score. I seriously think the swan dance, with its costumes, its dancers, choreography and THAT particular piece of music, was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen, and I don't say that lightly. I actually felt privileged to watch it.

The men were completely amazing too. I particularly loved the evil von Rothbart. Prince Siegfried's trusty sidekick, Benno, is also wonderful.

Anyway, if this production makes its way to a town near you - GO.

1 comment: