How to understand this blog

Friday, March 25, 2011

cookbook challenge #5

[About the New Years' resolution behind this]

I had some friends over on my cooking night, Wednesday - and using Vegie Food, I made pumpkin and feta pie. I've had my eye on this recipe for a while now and it didn't disappoint! Five down, twelve to go.

You will need:
700g / 1 lb, 9 oz butternut pumpkin (squash), cut into 2cm / 3/4 inch pieces
4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
5 tablespoons olive oil
2 small red onions, halved and sliced
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon soft brown sugar
100g / 3 and a half oz feta cheese
1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
1 large sheet shortcrust pastry (savoury)

Preheat the oven to 200*C / 400*F. Put the pumpkin and garlic cloves on a baking tray and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove the garlic cloves, and leave the pumpkin to cool.

Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a pan, add the onion and cook over a medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Add the vinegar and sugar and cook for 15 minutes or until the onion is caramelized. Remove from the heat and add to the pumpkin. Cool completely.

Add the feta and rosemary to the pumpkin mixture once cooled. Squeeze out the garlic flesh and mix it through the vegetables. Season.

Roll out the pastry between two sheets of baking paper to a 35 cm / 14 inch circle. Remove the top sheet of paper and arrange the pastry on a tray. Put the pumpkin mixture on top, leaving a border of about 4 cm / 1 and a half inch. Fold over the edges, pleating as you fold:


Bake for 30 minutes, or until crisp and golden.

Unfortunately I didn't get the more attractive photo of the pie as it looks when it is cooked, but trust me regardless - this is a really gorgeous meal! I loved the way the sweetness of the pumpkin worked with the balsamic vinegar and the feta... mmmm.... I served it with a green salad, and it served five. I also got lots of compliments because people seem to think anything involving pastry is difficult, but it's actually a very simple recipe. Yum yum! A big thumbs-up from me!

2 comments:

Stacy said...

That's pretty . . . and pretty impressive in spite of what you say about pastry.

Sarah @ In Pleasant Places said...

This looks so good, Allie, I think I'll try it!